8.25.2008

Nothing New Under This Title

I like to be right. I tend not to get into debates about things unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to win (or leave thinking I won). I spend hours researching things to find out the different angles and basically side with people that I agree with. I'm constantly trying to sharpen my thoughts and beliefs and theologies. Or I'm lazy and don't care. Depends on the day.

Here's a few things I've been wrestling with lately. This all stems from a few nights ago when I stumbled upon an article about Joel Osteen. I would keep it anonymous, but most of what I'm about to say either won't make sense if you don't know who I'm talking about, or it will be so obvious who I'm talking about, you'd know anyway. (** Just a note, I'm not saying, in the opening of this blog, that I am right in whatever I am saying here. These are the things I'm dealing with. If I'm not right, let me know what you think, and we'll figure it out together. Otherwise, I think I'm right)

First, here's something I've been thinking. Is it right to come on my blog and "publicly" speak against someone? Yes, I think so. These are things I would say to him, if I was important enough to talk to him. Also, Luke 12:48 says that much is required of whom much is given, so I'd say if you're placed in such a prominent "spiritual" position, everything you say can and should be questioned and balanced against scripture.

I am almost dreading what I'm writing today, because I've read SO MANY blogs and articles in the last few days, and I don't want to just add to the noise. My goal and prayer is that I expose the lies scripturally and maybe spur some of us to thoughts about these things. I don't think God wants us to just sit blindly and soak in everything that we hear or read. When Jesus sent out his disciples in Matthew 12, He charged them to be as wise (or shrewd) as serpents. I think that means we need to out-think the world. Satan has very limited resources to attack us with, and can use very subtle lies to influence us.

I made a comment on a youtube video the other day. The video was bashing Osteen (somewhat sloppily), and I was bashing someone who stupidly tried to defend Osteen. Within 12 hours, I was called a "hater" and banished to hell 3 or 4 times, etc. I'm pretty sensitive, so I thought, "Oh gosh, I AM a hater, where's the love, Smith?" But NO! That's what the pansy feel-good-about-anything-that-looks-like-what-i-want-God-to-look-like theologists think of anyone who disagrees with them. So this is for you blind, ignorant Christians who accept any message of health and prosperity because it's what you think you deserve because you're a Christian.

Word-Faith. Heard of it? I didn't until last week. Joel Osteen's dad was a member of this cult. Joel took over his ministry when he died, and continues this type of teaching. Oh? You didn't know the world's biggest church was a cult? Hmm.

Word-Faith basically says my words have authority over God (through something called "Positive Confession"). Hebrews 11 states "Faith is the substance of things hoped for..." "Substance" in this instance is somewhat poorly translated, and really means "Assurance." But someone decided that faith was an actual substance, and when I speak, this substance has actual power over outside events. Based on this belief, I can speak into my life what I want to happen, and it will happen. According to Osteen, I can speak into my life wealth, good health, whatever it is I desire. Since I'm speaking these things with enough faith, they will happen. So, therefore, God becomes subject to my words, and under my authority. Wow. I am pretty amazing, then. If God's under my authority, that .... that TOTALLY makes me GOD!!!!!!! Yesssssss. no. That's wrong. If God has something in authority over Himself, then technically (and philosophically), He can't be God. I've shut up some pretty loud atheistic mouths with this argument, so trust me, it's solid.

If I speak to my body and say "You will be well," you better believe I'm saying that as I'm driving to the hospital. My words are nothing without the authority of the Holy Spirit behind them.

Let's take Benny Hinn, for example. Beyond the fact that there are NO recorded updates on people he's "healed," he says that if we say "if it be Your will," our faith will be destroyed. Funny, that's the exact words Jesus spoke in Luke 22. If only Jesus would've had more faith. No, He destroyed His faith by asking God to let this cup pass from Him (I wonder if He knew He was about to die for a generation of people that think His death is their monetary and physical gain?)

If I'm never sick, I never need a healer. If I'm never struggling with money, I never need a provider. If I can will myself a perfect marriage, I never need to learn the kind of love that is a choice. If I can just speak myself into big house or nice car, I'll never learn to be content with what I have right now.

I know it's common now, even among people who are not believers, to say "Joel Osteen's not a pastor, he's just a motivational speaker." The more I read and think about it, the more I think that statement is not strong enough. He is dangerous. 47,000 people every Sunday leave a building thinking they've been taught the "ever-living seed of the word of God," when they've been showered with a message of false hope, not based in any scriptural truth. You cannot come to a realization of your need for God (and thusly be saved), without realizing the depravity of your own soul. As unpopular as it might make the messenger, it is a message that must be spoken.

Plug this thought into ANY large church (yes, it's getting personal now). Speak a message of our depravity. Don't use a screen, open a Bible. Don't sing top ten worship songs, sing what the Holy Spirit wants to hear. End with a message of hope, that Christ is the redemption for our depravity, but it requires some sacrifice and repentance on our part. Let people leave broken for their sins and imperfection, but glimpsing the hope set before them. ... Sadly, alot of people will leave if they don't get a warm fuzzy that day. Oops. There goes attendance. Empty seats. Means empty offering plates. Gosh, can't pay for our gigantic building or smaller ministries within the church. What? Pay cut for our pastor? No security detail? Church leadership is confused? Maybe if they were ministers, not businessmen, you wouldn't be relying on your personal marketing so much. ... Maybe it's safer to just preach a message that's inoffensive and have high quality production that makes church entertaining. WHEW! Almost thought we were just like those silly ancient churches of Acts.